North West England based female* Musician/Sound Artist aged 30 or under
What does your Electric Storm sound like?
Delia Derbyshire Day is looking to commission an outstanding musician or sound artist aged 30 or under. As part of our DD Day 2019 “Electric Storm 50” project, we want you to create an exciting new work inspired by the seminal album ‘An Electric Storm’ by White Noise. Delia Derbyshire was a key member of White Noise. The work will be performed at DD Day 2019 (23 November 2019) in Manchester and further performance opportunities could be offered. You need to show understanding of Delia’s work, working methods and legacy – you can research Delia online. We want you to be bold and dedicated to your craft, like Delia was.
We will match you with a digital artist, multi-media artist or creative technologist. In collaboration, you will produce a 15-20 minute new work inspired by the An Electric Storm album. You will also interact with the Delia Derbyshire archive at John Rylands Library, Manchester.
If you know a digital artist, multi-media artist or creative technologist you want to work with, please mention their name in your application (they will still need to apply too). Or we will match you with the most suitable artist.
Payment of £1000 (5 days @ £200 per day) including the first performance at DD Day 2019. Further performance opportunities will be paid separately.
How to apply
On 2 sides of A4 maximum, please tell us:
- About your work, skills and experience
- What will your Electric Storm sound, look like, feel like?
- What tools and techniques will you use to create your new work?
- What kind of collaboration would you love to do with a creative technologist/digital/multi-media artist?
- How are you inspired by Delia Derbyshire?
- A link to your work – website, youtube channel, soundcloud etc
- Tell us why we should choose you!
Please email your application to deliaderbyshiredayATgmail.com
Deadline for applications: midnight on 30 April
Artist selected by DD Day trustees: 17 May 2019
If you would like to ask any questions or discuss this opportunity, email Caro (project manager) at deliaderbyshiredayATgmail.com
This opportunity is funded by Arts Council England and The Granada Foundation, hence the North West England regional focus. The age limit is defined by the organisational development aspect of this project which is to develop our work with people aged 16-30.
* We use an inclusive definition of the word female, welcoming applications from artists who identify as non-binary, cis-gendered and trans.